Did I actually say that out loud?

Today I took the online "Discrimination and Whistleblower" training. It reminded me that no one in the U.S. is allowed to make someone else feel that they're in a "hostile workplace," by making inappropriate jokes, among other things. Had me shifting a little in my chair, remembering a meeting in Philadelphia week before last, attended by me and my colleagues from HFC, a ranger from the sites we're working on, and two upper management types.

We were talking about existing research on the sites. The ranger mentioned an historian who'd done lots of work on them, and who probably had a bunch of resources in files in his office.

"I've been wanting to get into those drawers for a while," she said, truly not intending to dandle such a ripe plum.

Beat.

"You're saying you want to get into his drawers?" I said.

Laughs. No comments. Conversation moved on.

Should I have resisted? Yes, I think so. Could I have resisted? Surely I can find that kind of self control, at my ripe old age. I have resisted the urge to e-mail everyone at the meeting and apologise.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I always think that in my older years I am more likely to not resist these urges. I figure I have made it this far so I can say whatever I want!
Then I joined a corporation and had my comments missinterpreted... but being PC is no fun!
Anonymous said…
You could give them your blogspot.