Still surprising myself

Before ever hearing about the job opening at HFC, Joe and I had been invited to an April wedding in D.C. (A wonderful wedding! More about it later, perhaps...) Two weeks before the event, I accepted the job offer. So I extended the weekend trip (without much help from Travelocity, by the by) and spent a whirlwind day visiting my new colleagues in Harpers Ferry and apartment-hunting in Frederick.

Frederick has an historic district with blocks and blocks of 19th-century row houses, many of which have been subdivided into apartments. There are restaurants and coffee shops and boutiques and a public library all within walking distance. I scoured the online Frederick News-Post classifieds and Craig's List, and set up appointments to see some of these quaint, quirky places. Right up my alley, you'd think. Then--just because they were easy to find online and because I was considering a furnished apartment, I also noted some apartment complexes in the area.

Yesterday I put a security deposit down on a cookie-cutter unit in an apartment subdivision. I still don't understand it. I'm feeling a little defensive about it. To give directions, I'll probably have to reference the assisted living center next door. But I'm going with my gut. Professional management, 24-hour maintenance, plentiful parking--and a wood-burning fireplace! It just seems easier, somehow. As we can say of everything else about this move: if it sucks, at least it's only for a year. (And, anyway, there's a Starbucks and a movie theater within walking distance...what more could a lone person want?)

Comments

Anonymous said…
So you have moved into the 21st century or cookie cutter housing. Next thing you know you will be living in West County. Did you opt for the "abundant closet space" the "den" or the "optional kitchen window"?
cmcq said…
Ah, yes. Here's one of the reasons to feel defensive. My past slurs on suburban living will revisit me.

Optional kitchen window. I think my "abundant closet space" was sacrificed to the full-size washer and dryer. Which just means fewer places to stash the dirty clothes.