Job description

Here's a "be careful what you wish for" story: in college, daydreaming with friends about our futures, I said I didn't want a job that you could describe to people with just one word, like "teacher" or "lawyer." Not that those words are ever adequate descriptions of the specializations and experiences of teachers and lawyers. But I wanted a more mysterious job.

And I got it. People I've worked with for years--even, I suspect, some of my supervisors--have no idea what I've been doing. I recently won a sausage for having the most obscure sounding job in the room: "Free-lance Museum Exhibit Developer." Okay, so, it wasn't a very exciting crowd. And I can't really explain the sausage.

Trust the federal government, though, to spell it out. Here's a really good description of what I'll be doing as an exhibit planner at Harpers Ferry Center. I'm thrilled about working with people who understand what I do and believe it's useful. Maybe they can explain it all to me...

Comments