family restaurant

Colorado Springs' sweet, clean, comfy little airport, like Rapid City's, has free wireless connection to the internet. At major airports--loud, tense, raggedy places, a lot of them--you have to pay. What's up with that?

This time my rental car is a Chevrolet Cobalt. Er, except it's white.

Last time I was in Colorado Springs, Joe was with me, so arriving alone was a little sad. I drove around looking for a place to eat dinner before heading up to 8,000 feet, where I'm staying. Stopped at a couple pricey places and decided I'd feel uncomfortable sitting at a table in my Black Dog T-shirt, reading my book. So I settled on a place with a full parking lot, The Mason Jar ("A Family Restaurant"). For a while, I was the youngest customer in the room by 20 years, though older than the waitstaff by another 20. Those diners moved very slowly, especially on the way out, after a plateful of chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes and corn bread. (Grilled pork chop and apple-soppy, for me.)

Now, at my hotel in Woodland Park, I'm getting that pressing-on-the-temples feeling from the altitude. Hydrate and sleep, that's my plan.
.

Comments

Anonymous said…
APPLESOPPY! Let's hear it for comfort food!
cmcq said…
Just what I needed, when I'm gonna sit there with a book.