Parking purgatory

Very odd experience this evening in Philadelphia. Following directions from the hotel, I drive to a nearby parking garage. Push a button on the entrance kiosk, get the typical paper ticket. Drive forward into the first level, which is a long, straight row with parking slots on one side only. All the slots have "Reserved Parking" signs on them. Again, typical; monthly cardholders probably get to park there; there'll be spaces I can use on the upper levels.

Get to the end of the row. There's another kiosk there. An exit kiosk, and, on the other side of it, the street. That's the whole garage, apparently: one row of parking spaces, all reserved. Sure, they'll give you a ticket to get in, but once you're in, no parking. It's the garage for the Hotel California.

Don't worry, you'll see me again. I'm not blogging from my car. There was a "help" button on the kiosk. The lady who answered appeared to have dealt with this before. And did again, for the car right behind me.

After escaping and driving into a different entrance, taking another ticket from another kiosk (you'd think I'd learn), parking, and leaving the building on foot, I realized the ground level was just for tour buses coming to the Independence Park sites nearby. Okay, so the parking spaces were kinda long and the ceiling kinda high--that had only contributed to the whole surreality of the place, first time through.

Comments