"Wow, you know someone that old?"

I'm pretty sure Kate was joking when she said that. There's something odd about having people close to me turning 40, even though I've already been there. Two weekends in a row, I flew off to surprise people on their birthdays. Joe knew I was coming, but not what we'd be doing. Ted didn't even know I was coming.

I took Joe on a drive in the country. We rode on two car ferries, one across the Missouri, one across the Illinois.

We wended our way through a corn maze. It was our first corn maze. It's possible that, having seen one corn maze, we've seen them all.

We visited the confluence of the Mississippi (left) and Missouri (right).

And we documented our own confluence.

Then, when we went back to "change clothes for the next surprise" there were these wonderful people in our house! They sang.
And they had make-your-own pizzas ready for us. There was more birthday weekend activity, too. Get your minds out of the gutter! Joe and I had a romantic dinner and a romantic brunch. Okay, now you can head for the gutter.

Ted has three sisters, who planned an elaborate surprise that involved people secretly flying to Connecticut from California and Florida, a horse-drawn hay wagon ride, and a square dance. Good thing you can't judge how much a person loves a person based on event planning.

Ted was a little teary. Do you remember him from our wedding? Did anyone see him crying then?
Those are Clydesdales. At one point they trotted up a hill, hauling around 20 of us in the wagon.

The square dance was here. It was beautiful weather, and I got to catch up with dear friends: Jeff, Margi, And(y)rew. I also got to see my mom. Twice, because I left my phone at her place and had to go back before my flight out.

Ted's comment about this blog is that I don't include pictures of myself. So I'm trying to get better with the self-snapping.

Comments