Second trip to South Dakota


This was the road leading to my B&B.


This was my B&B, the Odd Duck Inn. Yes, it's a mobile home. Every time I drove up, I was greeted by two or three barking and chasing dogs from a neighbor's house. That little one had just peed on my car tire when I took this picture.


Then he thought he should be able to come inside with me.


View from my B&B.


Another view from my B&B.


Saw lot of these, driving around the reservation.


The Pine Ridge reservation is dry, but just outside is a little "town," really a cluster of buildings, called Scenic (or, by some Park Service folks, Not). Budweiser should be ashamed.


I spent a lot of time on this trip going to museums to see what historic things they had from the Oglala Lakota. This was my favorite thing.


This is in a gallery in Rapid City. It's made out of cast and cut paper. I'm not kidding. It's 7x4 feet.


You could purchase it for $73,000. Plus shipping: $2,000. Don't ever try cleaning it.

Comments

Anonymous said…
So how was the B&B? Do the owners live there too or did you have the place to yourself? What are the owners like? Good eats? Was there satellite TV - or one channel TV? It's America: there had to be TV, right?

And what's the story on the hat with the feathers?
cmcq said…
The owners live next door, in a house you can't see in any of the pictures. When I arrived, the man came up the hill to give me some tomatoes from their garden. He's a writer, Mark St. Pierre, husband of the other owner, Tilda Long Soldier, who's an artist. He has a lot of interesting things to say about the Lakota and he says a lot of them given the smallest opportunity. It was a great pleasure to talk with him and Tilda the morning before I left.

Not such good eats, actually: I bought some cheese, crackers and pepperoni in Rapid City. I guess the "breakfast" part of this "B&B" is a figure of speech.

No tv channels at all. The tv was just for watching videos. It's America, but it's not America: it's the Oglala Lakota Nation.

Haven't got the hat story yet.