In D.C.

Because I work mostly 9-hour days, every other Friday I have the day off. This makes weekend trips to St. Louis easier, but I don't always leave. This past Friday I spent with Kate and and her son, Harry.

Kate and husband Steve moved to D.C. last month. Steve finds it amusing that, a decade ago, he and Kate moved to St. Louis in my wake, and now they've "followed" me to D.C. "Don't move to Scranton, next," he said to me. "I don't want to live in Scranton." Says Kate, "We're not moving again."

This week I got to know the little streets around Kate and Steve's home pretty well. They live right by the National Cathedral, where Bush went on Friday for his National Day of Prayer, just at the time I was to pick Kate up. The major streets were all closed, with police pointing towards the only direction I was allowed to turn: away from the Cathedral.

We rendezvous-ed in time to get Harry at pre-school and headed for Alexandria. Kate's looking for some art, thanks to a gift from grandmother. When I came out for Tom and Kristine's wedding last spring, they introduced me to the Torpedo Factory, an enclave of studios and galleries along the Potomac in Old Town Alexandria. T & K own a work by Factory denizen Matthew Harwood, whose dimensional cityscapes cannot be captured in 2-D photography. Kate found some paintings that appealed to her, but graciously acknowledged that Steve ought to have a look before she invests.

Comments